Written by André Blais (Université de Montréal) and Damien Bol (King’s College London), this chapter of A Political Science Experiment explores the following questions:
– What are the two major electoral systems used for presidential elections?
– What are the three elements that define electoral systems in legislative elections?
– What is a ranked ballot system, and where is it used?
– Which electoral system leads to the highest number of parties in parliament and government?
– Which electoral system favors the representation of women and racial minorities?
– What is the best electoral system for democratic political representation?